Friday, October 06, 2006

Miscellaneous (more from iraqinsider.com)

I found this one and loved it. Sums up alot of the resentment. Navy guys are here for 6 months, most of them. Air Force guys are here for FOUR. FOUR MONTHS, no typo. The guys that moved in opposite myself and Cliff, after we moved in, ARE HOME ALREADY. Navy and Air Force have different (better) facilities, different rules, and different expectations. We saw that first-hand back at Bragg, training with these Air Force and Navy guys. The belly-aching, moaning, and complaining. The lack of bearing and professionalism - in my opinion, and of course - the undisputed lack of shooting skills, (married with their UNCONCERN for said inability), speaks volumes about the different cultures in each branch. Perhaps if we were forced to fight a war at sea, and man positions normally staffed by the Navy - we'd behave with equal flippancy - but I DOUBT it.
At least the Navy works with us in the PRT. The only time and place I see Air Force personnel here is in the gym, and in the chow-line. I think they run the Post-office, and some of their personnel staff hospital positions, and the IZ police.

This one I couldn't pass up. A "Piss-take" for all "me" British "mates" out there. Fabulously condescending, and so shopped-out now as to be trite and boring. A new formulation, perhaps, of the decades old resentment. That GIs were "Over-sexed, over-paid, and over HERE!" Is what our cousins used to say. What many don't know (I've done a poll) is the retort given by the "Yanks" to the Brits: that Tommies were "Under-sexed, under-paid, and under-EISENHOWER!"

Hahaha. Have your laugh. Now get back in formation, Limey!

This is one of the refineries on the edge of town. Burns like a giant Roman candle 24 hrs. a day. If you're ever flying over the middle-east (and I don't reccomend that you do) you'll see these burning bright all over (especially at night).
Choppers are everywhere, all the time. This is how we arrived in the IZ, and how we come and go, now and again. There is nothing to compare with a chopper-ride. And a chopper-ride over war-time Baghdad - bristling with guns and leaking testosterone - well I just don't think I'll ever be able to top that.


Found this one. Looks like a dusk (or dawn) patrol. Images like this one will become iconic of this war. And its a peculiar feeling to know you were there, wore the uniform, performed many of the same functions (and others). Its like seeing yoursefl in a movie opposite a celebrity, I suppose. To have such a close connection, and personal - to a chapter of history that unfolds before your eyes. To know that the photos in your personal album could conceivably wind up in Time Life magazine as emblematic of the era. And to understand instantly - how TV and magazines magnify. Because my day to day here is no more than that, my day-today. Any given day, however, my day to day might be the focus of the camera lens and the media's fleeting attention. Suddenly MORE important than the day before, (and perhaps less important after they leave).

No comments: